Tweet [Friend Doing Emergency Commissions]

Monday, May 14, 2018

Thoughts on Tri: Meicoomon

WARNING! SPOILERS!

Digimon - Crest Of Knowledge


Did you guys honestly think I wouldn't have something to say about this character?
Sorry I do, but let's start with the nice stuff, okay?

Let's not kid ourselves - this little Digimon is cute, and I mean really cute.  I'd cuddle Meicoomon with how adorable she is.  Like her human Mary-Sue counterpart, she's as ignorant as she is sincere.

However, under all of this adorable fluffiness is a dark secret - apparently she has a piece of Apocalymon inside of her, which I'm guessing is why she goes crazy and makes others go crazy.  Truth is, this isn't made clear, as the power to make other Digimon go insane was never done by Apocalymon in Digimon Adventure 01 without the use of some kind of aid, such as the Black Gears.  Maybe the lack of numbers is the reason why it's more concentrated, for a lack of better term? I don't know.

What is made clear is that the reason why she's so overly-powerful is because of all the memories she made with Meiko and eventually becomes the embodiment of the memories the other Digimon had with their respective partners.  This actually raises more questions, such as the fact that the other Chosen Children have had their partners almost as long as Meiko had Meicoomon, if not longer, so why didn't their memories count when it came to strength, and how were they able to evolve before Meicoomon released said memories to the others?  Is it because Meiko and Meicoomon were constantly around each other to make memories, unlike the other Chosen Children who had to be separated from their partners more than once?  Are some memories stronger than others?  Do bad memories make a Digimon stronger or weaker?  The terrible plot that was more concerned about drama is exactly why I've tried very hard not to dive too deep into this thing until now.

Universe-speaking, all of the things wrong with Meicoomon is, in truth, out of her control.  She really couldn't help being born with the data that she was born from, and that almost makes me feel sorry for her.  The problem is that when you throw in Meiko's tropes, it makes the only thing that's genuine about the new characters less endearing.  Honestly, if Meiko had been more attentive about Meicoomon in a less "whoa is me" way, then it would have made getting rid of Meicoomon a lot more believable.

Yeah, I suppose that's the biggest spoiler of all... Meicoomon actually dies...
So I suppose I feel sorry for her more than any dislike I have towards her?  I mean, she's more of a puppet than anything... really... =.=
Moving on...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram